Name:
Location: India

Saturday, May 20, 2006

From Down Under

Yep, that’s where this one’s coming from. I’m in a place called Maroochydore, on the Sunshine Coast. It’s about an hour’s drive from Brisbane. Sunshine Coast is one of the most popular tourist spots in Queensland, and is said to have some of the best beaches in the world. The brochures talk of wonderful things that one can indulge in, in this beautiful part of the world, from surfing, to scuba diving, to diving with sharks, to sky diving, to wine tasting, to shopping….you name it! And of course, there are so many things to see- from the beaches and mountains to the zoos and national parks.

I got here about a week ago, and soon settled into my apartment. It’s a very comfortable arrangement, with a little jetty in the back, and lots of sea breeze. Though work has been pretty hectic, I have managed to take some time out to walk by the river, scope out potential shopping spots, and yes, have a pint of the famous Australian beer. I haven’t, however, due to time restraints, been able to do all the other exciting things the place offers.

What is so great about Maroochydore is that it’s a large town. Which means it’s not big enough to be classified as a city, yet has all the conveniences of one. It means that there is no dearth of shopping malls and supermarkets, but it also means that the people will take time out to have a little chat with you as they go about their business. The little roadside cafes and local taverns are quaint and friendly. The small, yet terribly interesting bookstores and music shops are places that one can spend hours at. I discovered a small music shop called “Back Beat Records” that sells old and rare music, some in rare formats. You can get old CDs, audio tapes and even LPs, some with yellowed covers. There are very few tall buildings; most structures are limited to one or two floors. Some parts on the Sunshine Coast have laws prohibiting buildings to be higher than the trees. The sheer beauty of the place is striking; especially when one wanders towards the river. I would like to describe the beaches, but unfortunately I haven’t made my way to them yet. I’m still trying to get my bearings here. Tomorrow’s Sunday, so maybe I’ll head over to the ocean then. Given Maroochydore’s size, walking is definitely an option, though one should be prepared for the walks to be long ones.

What I didn’t realise was that while I thought I had a long time here, to explore and do things; I actually have only about 6 whole days- the weekends. The rest of the days are booked for work, and evenings aren’t really long enough to do very much. But 6 days are better than 0 days, and I will put them to good use. In the meantime, I shall continue to eat beef, more beef, and still more beef…..two meals a day! :)

7 Comments:

Blogger Feliz said...

Cool! When did you land there? Njoy nature! Send pics :)

1:15 PM  
Blogger illusions said...

Ahh...so she has to go to Aussieland, in order to update her blog - good stuff!

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, u r finally there! I was wondering when u would be leaving fr the place...

Have fun!

1:53 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

Feliz- Nature's grand, isnt it? The beaches here are lovely. Will remember to send you some pics.

Illusions- So you've finally surfaced! Was beginning to wonder when you would make your presence felt again...

Wonderstorm- Thanks a ton. Yes, I am finally here. Been here a week now :)

2:50 AM  
Blogger Pj said...

looks like u celebrating@work:))

8:04 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

Celebrating AFTER work is more like it. Went for a beer with the client yesterday and the particular one I had, (4X Bitters) is best handled with some caution, is all I'll say!

4:16 PM  
Blogger Pj said...

Insiyah write something...want to hear from ya :)

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home