Name:
Location: India

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Unemployed

….and loving every moment of it. Being unemployed is like being able to get out of one’s own city and going to another one. Nothing seems quite the same. Though you know that there will be similarities between your old city and the new one, there is still that excitement of figuring out which particular things will be the same, and which ones will be starkly different.
In my context, being unemployed does not mean sitting on my ass, doing nothing. On the Contrary. It means doing different kinds of work, with different people. It means not confining myself to one workplace, with one boss. It means working in my own time, on my own terms. In other words, it’s called freelancing.
Free lancing allows me to do impromptu lunches with friends, allows me to work from home or my client’s office, as I see fit, allows me to start work at 9 am or 9 pm, whichever I like, as long as I deliver what I’ve been hired to deliver. It gives me the freedom to live the way I choose to live. The freedom to be.
Yes, there is the occasional feeling that I’m balancing on quicksand, and could be down in a snap…..but hey, what’s life without a little risk? What’s life without the adrenaline rush that comes from doing work that excites me rather than working to justify my paycheck? Not very much, I say.
The work is better, the money is better, the satisfaction is better…I’m beginning to wonder why I was doing a job to begin with!
Freelancing…….. Sounds to me like Free Falling!

2 Comments:

Blogger Mojo said...

Yep....looks like I am! :) I said unemployed 'cuz in the strictest sense of the word, I am. And a darn good thing it's turned out to be!

11:49 PM  
Blogger Taz said...

Lucky you, thats all i can say. Some of us do not have that luxury of being like a free bird. Working, but the way we would want to work. Enjoy your freedom.

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home