Name:
Location: India

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shaken and Stirred

I was at a friend’s house, reading my book and sipping on a glass of iced coke, when he got a phone call. I turned a page of the book, taking no notice of him, until he suddenly jumped up and jabbed at the power button on the TV.

Was that the Taj Mahal Hotel? And were those dead bodies being carried out? We looked at each other, bewildered. What the hell was going on? As bits of information started trickling in, and the picture started getting clearer, the horror in our hearts grew. Café Leopold had been attacked- a joint that we, from the ‘burbs make the trek to town for. And the Taj, where my grandfather stays every time he’s in Mumbai. The room that was burnt and reduced to flakes of ash was his favorite one- the one he always requested. And the Trident- how many times had I gone there to sample their delectable kakori kebabs?!?

I stayed up till 4 am that night, watching the horrific sights, watching helplessly as the terrorists made their way to my part of town- a taxi blows up in Ville Parle, unconfirmed reports about firing at the JW Marriott start to come in. I waited and watched, hoping they would bypass Bandra. By the time I finally fell asleep, I was nervous, but exhausted from the long day and the constant images flashing across the screen, and in my head.

I was woken up, bleary eyed and still exhausted by the phone ringing. It was the Boss. Today was going to be one of our busiest days ever, and the city had refused to shut down. For the next two days, it was madness. I and the rest of the team were constantly on our feet, running from hospitals to hotels to office. Watching, talking, writing, praying.
On the second day of the attack, I found myself at the Taj. Standing outside with the rest of the media, looking for side stories while the terrorists continued to kill innocents inside. It was one of the most eerie experiences of my life, watching the dozens of cameras pointed towards the hotel, ducking when we heard the blasts, and yet not moving from the site of the longest terror attack the country had ever seen.

I spot a gora. Turns out he’s a freed hostage. The media clamours over him, shoving their mikes in his face, shooting questions, while others scribble furiously in their notebooks. He tries his best to field them, shouts over the sounds of bullets being fired inside the Taj Mahal Hotel and reminds us all of how brave he is to come back here, to the site of the 30-hour long nightmare he had been put through.

Suddenly there’s a commotion about 100 feet from where I’m standing. There’s blood somewhere. I know I’ve seen blood and I push and shove to make my way to the site of the accident. A man stands, shaking with shock, drenched in blood. He holds up a handkerchief, and blood drips from it. I start to feel nauseous and try to distract myself by asking him questions. A stray piece of shrapnel has hit a journalist in the shoulder, causing the fellow to fall backwards onto a bystander behind him. The journalist is packed up and sent off in an ambulance to JJ Hospital before you can say “Jack Robinson.” But the bystander continues to stand and shiver.

I suddenly realize where I am and what I’m doing. As the intensity and seriousness of the situation sink in, I feel myself go numb. Physically and mentally. I try to take a step back, towards relative safety, but my legs wont move. My mind is shouting furious instructions to my body, telling it it’s in the direct line of fire, but it won’t move. A guard runs by me, shouting, “Madam, peechhe ho jaao, firing chaalu hai.” Thankfully my legs respond to his command. I run, squat behind a van and tremble for a few seconds.

I take a few deep breaths and run my hands over my face. Its time to come back out and face the devastation. My city is being attacked and if I can’t stop it, I have to document it.

But I can’t help myself from praying I won’t end up as yet another victim while I’m out here.

8 Comments:

Blogger Shubho said...

Nice read. Its very difficult for one to imagine such a situation unless one is in it. Blogs like these and in-person accounts take us closer to the reality.
But i hope you don't get any other such opportunity again.

1:38 AM  
Blogger Taz said...

India, shaken and stirred, by the horrific terrorist attack. It is time hence for an awakening. Time to act. Let us light a few candles and let us participate in some protest marches, after which we can forget about the whole thing. Ironically, we live in such short-term memories.

We couldn't contain the rot within, leaving aside the one outside.

2:46 AM  
Blogger Mukul said...

As my mind registered the words, even so many days after it had all happened, I could sense the shock, the sheer overpowering push of the dastardly attacks and counter attacks.

Graphic words... great piece. And I hope nohing like this ever happens again.

2:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@#$%%^&#^@ Karachi!
/My initial reaction

Ok, let's get these sick @#$%&*^
/When i sobered down

Belated B'day wishes and really glad to know that you are O-K.

count your blessings, name them one by one

Best,
Jimmy, Kolkata

4:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

As always you get to the point.. and am very releived that you had gone thru all that and came out safely. One point i would like to ask is that everyone is pointing fingers at someone or the other, or people are suggesting candle marches and media is calling it the worst terror attack, but what is the real agenda here.. Do we just stand and wait for another attack so that we can repeat the whole scene again or is something going to be done about it...i cannot see the solution here but can only pray that it does not happen again, which again is being very optimistic..but the question is that where is it we lack..is it lack of reaction or pre emptive action..questions plague us, which have no real answers unless someone can really shoulder the responsibility, who would that be....

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the last lines ... "But I can’t help myself from praying I won’t end up as yet another victim while I’m out here."

I know you and I know how thoroughly genuine that emotion is, you do know that the world is collapsing and yet it is so difficult to come out of our comfort zones to go and stand out there. The staff and guests for sure outnumbered the fellas with guns ... imagine if not a single one was afraid in the least it would have been easier to gun them down with their own ammunition. We are scared for 'our' lives ...

lv you for being less scared, for being out there

8:49 PM  
Blogger Mukul said...

Watching it on TV was the closest we cud get in Delhi... and what you say is from so close... Even as I read it, I felt the dread you feel when you're face to face with a real, life threatening danger, looming large, getiing closer, the inevitable... Your guts show!

This has been a shaker for every one of us, and I just hope we all stay together and keep such things from happening ever again...!

12:24 AM  
Blogger illusions said...

I also watched it on telly. However, I was distant. Somewhat similar to my reactions when blasts occur in Assam or J&K. Or for that matter Delhi! The next day while traveling to work, I read about it in the papers and was very close to tears. Must have been something to do with the writing.

Yesterday, I went to the Taj, Trident and Nariman House yesterday. All areas were cordoned off. Though I visited it after a several days of the incident, the area still has an awky feeling. I was still quite emotionless as I suspect were most tourists in the area. I then left the vicinity for Leopold and noticed that they were collecting funds for the two employees who died in the incident. The waiter had difficulty articulating the fund collection activity to me. I stopped him half way, made a donation, and left feeling truly sad.

I don't think the lack of safety affects me as much as does the families and friends left behind; Probably still struggling to accept.

I do believe Mumbai is as safe as any other place in India. Take care and Inshallah you will be safe.

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home