Name:
Location: India

Monday, October 06, 2008

Smoke-free country

So what do you guys think about the new no-smoking ban? I’m a smoker, so I’m not too happy about it. But then again, I’m a 25 year old smoker, so I’m kinda getting to the I’ve-smoked-enough-in-my-life-and-I-really-should-quit-now stage.
In principle, though, I don’t agree with the concept of shrinking a group of people’s space so that they are forced to adopt a kind of behaviour that’s favourable to you.
Yes, I know smoking harms others too blah blah blah. But then go on and ban cigarettes altogether. Why wont you? ‘Cuz empty pockets are no fun now, are they?
The other day I went out clubbing. Hardcore Blue Frog till the wee hours of the morning kind of clubbing. It was 3rd October and the no smoking rule was being strictly followed. That huge expanse of space, alcohol flowing everywhere you looked, DJ spinning electronic and trance….and not one cigarette in the house. I kid you not. If you tried to light up, someone from the management would find before you reached the halfway mark, and make you put it out. Or leave. Yes, they would stand right there until you did either of the two.
Right at the entrance of the club were tables…and ashtrays. That’s where you went for your nicotine fix. The tables for your drinks and the ashtrays for your butts. I swear, if the weather was even a wee bit better, I would have spent the entire night there, going in only for the bar. So what ended up happening because of the ban was rather unexpected and pleasant. First, since we kept going out for smoke breaks, we could actually hold conversations with one another. As opposed to chugging our drinks, grinning idiotically at one other’s antics on the dance floor and screaming to be heard. The other good thing that happened was the next morning. After nights like these, I always wake up with a scratchy throat and a tongue that feels thick and furry. Not this time. The throat was A-okay and the tongue…well…but that was because of the booze, not cigarettes.
So I patted myself on the back and felt very proud. 4 cigarettes through a night that was 5 hours long. AND there were drinks. And dancing on tables. So to celebrate, I pulled out a well deserved cigarette and lit up. And another. And another.
Whoa! It was like binging after being on a diet. I tried to stop, but sooner or later a friend would light up, and the next thing I knew, I was puffing hard.

So I’m confused. I don’t know whether this ban is going to be good for me or not. After all, I can and do smoke at home. And having quite a few solitary pursuits, I end up spending quite a bit of time at home. With my laptop, books, coffee and smokes. Oh well. Time will tell. In the meanwhile, we protect the pipes when outdoors and burn them up at home.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - I feel banning smoking is a pointless exercise, and foolish....actually..I think they should just ban menthol cigarettes...

9:07 AM  
Blogger Mojo said...

Now WHY would anyone want to do that?? It would be a terrible thing to do! Esp for us endangered species of menthol smokers.

5:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly. :-p

1:07 PM  
Blogger Taz said...

Argument:
The government is back with its vote winning antics. I say antics because I'd like to laugh at our Health Ministers hypocrisy. I'm quite flabbergasted at his profound concern for the people. The man puts a ban on public smoking but not on the sale of cigarettes, which is one of the major sources of revenue for the government. This ban is not only aimed at serving people but also an extant and venal bunch of police officers for whom it’s another opportunity to mint money.

Counterargument:
Ban on public smoking has helped various countries to reduce smoking by around 20% or more. This is seen as an effective tool by developed countries to cut down on smoking related health issues.

PS: Everything said and done, being a smoker I hate the inconvenience I'm facing right now. So, I outrightly am against this moral policing.

11:19 PM  
Blogger illusions said...

I haven't read the post, but realy need to vent. It is stupid. Let me as an adult choose. India is the ONLY free land: It is our birth right to Piss and Smoke wherever we want.

5:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home