Name:
Location: India

Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Maid Woes

A good maid is worth her weight in gold. -Mojo
Mine certainly isn’t. She saunters in at noon and if she finds me at home, I get a pained look. Almost like I’ve somehow managed to wound her. A look that anticipates correctly all the dusty corners that will be pointed out to her, all the spots on the floor she will have to scrub and the tables that will have to be thoroughly wiped down.
The biggest bone of contention between the two of us is "dusting." She is convinced that it’s not part of her job, and I am convinced that it is. Then there are the clothes. If I don’t soak them beforehand, she will refuse to wash them. Or will do it while muttering all the things she would like to do to me under her breath. On my part, I make sure that when I’m home, I follow her around to make sure all the corners are cleaned, clothes washed, cabinet and tabletops wiped clean of the famous sticky Bombay grime.
Now don’t you go feeling sorry for her- she's quite capable of getting her own back. In the name of revenge, there are taps that are mysteriously left open (leading to me getting yelled at by the other building residents who share the water tank), lights that somehow turn themselves on after she's left and windows that wait for her to leave and then cleverly creak open on their own, letting in dust and sometimes creepy crawlies.

Ah, for a good maid! All my kingdom for a good maid!

3 Comments:

Blogger Taz said...

Maid woes, landlord woes, work woes, et cetra et cetra. Somewhere amidst all this, in Mumbai, there is no time left for personal life.
I do understand the maid part as it’s the same everywhere, mostly. Don't know your maid well enough to say this, but with your perseverance, I'm sure she will mend her ways soon enough.

11:36 PM  
Blogger illusions said...

Humm...your entire kingdom for a maid. Humm...you entire kingdom...for a maid.

After much pondering...

Solution: Get married to a kept man!

5:20 AM  
Blogger Shubho said...

I agree with illusions! :)
No maid can guarantee full satisfaction (no pun intended).

1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home