Name:
Location: India

Monday, October 27, 2008

Cocktails and Tarot Cards at LFW

Though you can find this piece on Rediff.com as well, it's a slightly censored version. Here's the original.

I sauntered into the media centre, in a great mood. The day had been long and hard, but the interview with one of the designers had gone brilliantly, and I had once again re-discovered how much I like gay people. Since I had time to relax and unwind for a bit before getting on the ball again, I decided to check out the Skoda Lounge. Pretty pretty models all around and the men all sporting six packs made me feel rather frumpy in my jeans and chappals. But then I'm the media- and the media is forgiven almost anything, right? So I walked in, got myself a nice cool drink and thankfully sank into one of the bean bags that had just been vacated by a model so tiny, she could have fit into my lovely long-stemmed glass!
Anyway, so I sit there and take a long cool sip while surveying the scene around me. I see the model Sahil Shroff, munching on finger food by the door, I see the M.D. of Skoda, Mr. Thomas Kuehl chatting with some young girls from the media, I see the bartender pouring a freshly made cocktail into a tall glass with a flourish and I see our photographer furiously clicking pictures, trying to capture the essence of what the Skoda Lounge stood for and offered.

Above the hubbub of "lounge-noise", I overhear a conversation.
"Ask a question."
He shakes his head. "I don't have any questions."
She looks at the cards and takes a long look at him. "You have been waiting a long time?"
"For what?" he asks.
"Your cards tell me a good time is coming up next year. It will be very beneficial for you. Hmm...ok, ask a question. These are question cards."
He concedes. "Okay...will I make lots of money?"

I turn around curiously and discover that it's exactly what it sounds like. I was watching the Tarot card reader at the Skoda Lounge at work. What's a tarot reader doing at the Lakme Fashion Week, you ask? Well, according to Mr. Thomas Kuehl, the Managing Director of Skoda, "Fashion is about future trends; you have to be ahead of the others, and it's about the feel-good factor. A fortune teller gives you a look into the future and also a good feeling, isn't it? Also, it's fun to have your cards read. And India is a spiritual country; a fortune teller fits right into the scheme of things." It's unique logic, but it works. The poor lady barely has time to catch her breath before the next person sits down in front of her, eagerly waiting to draw some cards. Young, upcoming designer Kunal Rawal has designed the Lounge, giving it an out-doorsy feel, while retaining the relaxed pub-like atmosphere of a lounge. The walls have photographs of women and the spare parts of a Skoda, as well as artworks from Kunal's own collection. Fauz green plastic leaves hanging from all nooks and crannies, green lights that cast a greenish glow on everything that enters the lounge and a DJ who obligingly plays the latest greatests makes this Lounge a happening place to put your feet up for a few minutes before the bell goes off and yet another fashion show starts.
Mr. Kuehl is very clear about the objective of the Lounge. He says, "The Lakme Fashion Week is a stressful event; there needs to be some place where people can relax and chill out after having run around all day. The Lounge serves to bring people from all spheres together and celebrate like a family. But after 5 pm, only people with passes are allowed." Though I can safely say that this rule is not strictly enforced. It pretty much depends on which hostess is at the door and how elitist she wants to be.

So if you're one of those who find yourself at the Lounge, grab a seat and look around. See that bunch of models by the DJ console? They're pissed because one of the biggest designers dropped them in favour of a bunch of nobodies. And see those slinkily dressed hostesses at the door? They decide whether you'll be let in tomorrow or not. And the bartender? He's just happy to make you a cocktail and watch you sip it appreciatively. Take my advice, and step in for a cranberry cocktail, make small talk with a model or designer, listen to the gossip that will invariably make its way to you, and watch the Pradas and Versaces sashay in and out, and savour the essence of the Lakme Fashion Week. As it is, and as it should be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home